Swiss Counter-Trafficking Weeks 2019
In 2019 the Action Weeks on the topic of human trafficking will take place once again. Events will be organized around the 18th of October across Switzerland. As soon as the schedule is fixed, you will find further information here.
Since 2012 Action Days and Weeks have been organized alternately each year, to raise awareness about the European Day against Human Trafficking:
• On the occasion of the 18th of October 2018, IOM Bern organized a conference in Geneva on the topic «Digital technology: an unprecedented opportunity for the prevention of trafficking» in cooperation with the FDFA. At the conference technical instruments were presented, which had been specifically developed to raise awareness, report suspicions and improve data collection, use and transfer
• From the 17th of October to the 3rd of November 2017, IOM Bern coordinated the Action Weeks against Human Trafficking for the third time. 21 events took place throughout Switzerland to highlight this grave violation of human rights. They offered the population the possibility to inform themselves and gain a better understanding of the human trafficking phenomenon. Overall more than 1700 people were reached directly. Additionally, more than 30 media have reported on the action weeks and the topic more generally. During the Action Weeks, the information bus on the topic of human trafficking was also introduced.
• On the 18th of October 2016, IOM Bern organized a viewing of the film «Face Down» in Bern, followed by a conversation between the director and Swiss as well as international experts.
In the same year, 19’000 copies of the post card «Wonderland» were produced and distributed in public spaces in the five most important Swiss cities (Geneva, Lausanne, Bern, Basel and Zurich).
• From October 14th to October 21st 2015, IOM Bern organized the second Swiss Action Week against Human Trafficking. In order to highlight the grave violation of human rights through human trafficking, several exhibitions, panel discussions, film viewings, conferences, plays and poster campaigns were organized under the lead of 18 dedicated actors on the local, cantonal and national level. In total, 12 events in 7 cantons have been organized.
As part of the Action Week 2015, a short film has been produced, which was shown at the 5 biggest Swiss train stations (Basel, Bern, Geneva, Lausanne, Zurich) and at around 260 post offices over the course of several days.
• On the occasion of the 18th of October 2014, five events took place based on the initiative of dedicated partners on the cantonal level. Together with the police department of the city of Solothurn, IOM Bern hosted the exhibition «High Heel Passenger». The exhibition was created during the Action Weeks 2013 and showcased drawings made by students from Bern and Zurich after an introductory course on the topic of human trafficking.
• The first Swiss Action Week against Human Trafficking took place in 2013 (18th – 25th of October 2013). The initiative received a lot of positive feedback and was able to generate a large media response throughout Switzerland.
• On the occasion of the 18th of October 2012, IOM and its partner organizations have organized a national conference entitled «What is being done in Switzerland to combat human trafficking?» («Was wird in der Schweiz unternommen um den Menschenhandel zu bekämpfen?»). The highlight of the day was the presentation of the First National Action Plan against Human Trafficking (2012-2014) by Federal Councilor Simonetta Sommaruga.
Find the links to the different archives below:
Poster for the campaign weeks 2017